HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Teacher's Lounge.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
My Dear Juliet
Admin

PostSubject: Teacher's Lounge.   Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:26 am

Annabel sat in the teacher's lounge, gathering her thoughts before she had to return to her classroom to begin teaching that day.
As she sipped her brand-new caramel and white chocolate cappuchino, she looked blankly at the large flat-screen tv hanging above the ornate Rococo-style fireplace, which was going steadily and warming the room. Despite that it was April and quite warm, Annabel felt the need to be next to a source of heat at most times.
She leaned back into the couch, readjusting her crossed feet as her eyes moved over from the electronic box to the big whiteboard showing what was happening around the campus.
So far this month had been full of strange occurrences, beginning with the large amount of new mutants pouring in from all over the world, which was dangerous to get all those untapped powers in one place if handled unwisely.
As she wondered what she could do to help the new students, a bright flash of lightning sparked outside, and sent her hair into frizz mode, becoming uncontrollable and eliciting a sigh of giving up at her uncooperative hair.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://devona.forumotion.com
Rainbow Monstrosity

PostSubject: Re: Teacher's Lounge.   Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:57 pm

Faye Leprah never liked rainy days at the academy. With so many new mutants this year, it was hard to sort power from power and pin who could be the cause of it. The problem with thunderstorms at Devon Academy was how it seemed to affect the students, and even the teachers, negatively. Something about pouring rain coupled with rolling thunder and crackling lightning made the balance of power tip over.
Faye shrank back from the window as lightning cut jaggedly across the sky and slipped into her white labcoat. In a few moments, she would have to leave the safety of indoors and brave the horrid storm outside. The teachers at Devon Academy also lived on campus in a building near the dormitories--though the rooms were much larger--and it wasn't that far a walk to the main building, but it was far too long in the storm for Faye's liking.
"Well, I better hurry if I don't want to get entirely soaked, yes?" She said as she lifted her pet jerboa into the palm of her hand and smiled when he hopped lightly on her palm, as if agreeing with her, and hopped back into his glass cage.
Several other teachers were hurrying out of the teacher dorms as Faye left and walked as quickly as her high heels would let her in the slippery rain. Halfway across the long sidewalk leading to the main building she felt the chopsticks slip from her hair and a moment later her hair fell loose from the bun. The next thing Faye knew was that the world was swaying as she momentarily lost her balance and dropped her bag, her papers scattering everywhere in the wind.
A pair of black cat ears with cerulean blue and white markings twitched and then flattened back against her head, seemingly sprouted from nowhere, along with a matching tail that angrily swished back and forth.
"Damn this weather," she hissed as the cat ears and tail melted back into her body. Her papers were scattered all over the sidewalk and entirely soaked; there was no point picking them up now. It was a good thing she had kept the documents saved on her laptop.
"Having trouble, I see." A male voice said from behind Faye. She recognized it immediately and laughed quietly.
"Loomis, when do I never have troubles?" Faye turned around to see Loomis Claw standing there in his fancy clothes that seemed like they had come from the Medieval Times.
"On sunny days," Loomis replied and grinned at her. The two teachers had been friends when they were attending classes at Devon Academy and their friendship had lasted ever since then. He handed her bag to her with her chopsticks and held his umbrella over her head as they walked the rest of the way to the main building. Once inside, they both headed for the Teacher's Lounge where they ran into Annabel Gottleib.
Even though the woman's hair was frizzy from drawing electricity to herself, Annabel still looked as pretty as ever. Faye had often caught herself wondering how long it took Annabel to get ready in the morning, and why she put so much effort into it. Faye, on the other hand, didn't care much for spending hours and hours on her appearance; she was strange enough what with her hair and her eyes.
Faye nodded to Annabel and smiled, although she had only spoken to her several other times. She began to put her hair back up in a bun, but when an ear-shattering crackle shook the very building itself, she dropped the chopsticks and her hair fell down yet again. She could feel the cat ears twitching on the top of her head again and sighed with irritation as they melted away once again. Though it could be much worse, these random changes, Faye was quickly becoming annoyed. How many more times would she have to deal with this?
"This weather," she said, to no one in particular as she looked up at the sky outside the window, drumming her nails on the countertop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
My Dear Juliet
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Teacher's Lounge.   Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:20 am

Annabel looked out of the window, at the storm growing outside. When she heard the faint crack of thunder, a small grin played on the edges of her lips. Storms always filled her with unmistakable happiness, whereas most other people feared lightning.

However, she was only able to concentrate on the pitter-patter of raindrops until she overheard two other teachers, Loomis and Faye talking. Annabel stared as the two other teachers came and sat in the teacher's lounge, speaking to one another as if she wasn't even there. Despite her best intentions not to be nosy, she couldn't help but overhear.

Back to top Go down
Rainbow Monstrosity

PostSubject: Re: Teacher's Lounge.   Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:16 am

Loomis had already left to go prepare for his classes, leaving only Faye and Annabel in the Teacher's Lounge. It would've been a bit awkward had it not been for Faye daydreaming about curling up on her sofa and watching movies on rainy days, like she used to.
Another crack of thunder and flash of lightning tore through her memories and she blew out a sigh. Sometimes life as a mutant teacher was tough; it could make her wish for her old life before everything had happened. Before she had enrolled at Devon Academy and became a teacher after she graduated.
Whatever happened to those days? Faye wondered as she sat down on the sofa, crossing one long leg over the other. Her shoes were as shiny and red as always--there was just something about red shoes that so fascinated her.
"So how have your classes been going?" Faye asked in an attempt to make conversation with the other woman. It was no use sitting around in silence, after all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
My Dear Juliet
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Teacher's Lounge.   Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:18 am

Annabel glanced at the other teacher. Faye was one that most of the student population liked, unlike some teachers. She looked at Faye and grinned politely.
"Oh, you know. The usual. This year's new batch of mutants is a doozy. I've even heard there's a student who can deprive others of their senses and send them into a coma with a mere glance. It's quite intimidating being a mutant teacher sometimes, you know? But it's not a life I'd trade for anything else."
Back to top Go down
Rainbow Monstrosity

PostSubject: Re: Teacher's Lounge.   Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:59 pm

Faye shifted in her seat and sat forward, planting both feet flat on the ground. "I think that student is in one of my classes," she murmured and tapped her chin. She glanced over at the other teacher and grinned suddenly.
"Sure, it can be intimidating," she said and tilted her head, winking, "but only if you allow yourself to be intimidated."
There were several types of teachers at the academy. There were the really strict, no-nonsense teachers that were legends on campus and had the respect of the entire academy. No students of theirs could ever get away with mischief and the punishment for even trying it was harsh.
Then there were the teachers that were new and could easily be pushed over and intimidated. There were only two teachers like that working at the academy, but from what Faye heard circulating around campus, they were starting to get a backbone.
And then there were the teachers like Faye. Faye wasn't as strict as most teachers, but she wasn't easily intimidated. Faye was normally gentle and kind, but if need be, she could be frightening. It wasn't something she liked resorting to, but some students just didn't seem to comprehend words. She got along well with the students and helped them with whatever they needed; she knew how hard it could be growing up as a mutant, so she tried her best to make their lives the best they could be.
Faye glanced over at Annabel and frowned a bit. She didn't know much about the other teacher, but she didn't seem like the type of teacher that could be easily intimidated. Although from what Faye had heard about her, she could easily get bored with a class and switch to a different one.
"I also heard there will be several new teachers working here in the next month or so. What do you suppose the students will make of them? Considering this new batch of mutants this year, it does make sense that the Headmaster would hire more teachers."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
My Dear Juliet
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Teacher's Lounge.   Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:06 pm

Annabel laughed a high laugh. "Me? Intimidated? I lost that ability a long time ago. Not something that's always a good thing, though. But now that you mention it, I think some of those new teachers will be arriving soon. I saw the headmaster contacting applicable mutants the other day."
Annabel fixed her hair back behind her ears into her normal slick hairstyle. She glanced over at Faye, and wondered what it was like to be able to turn into different animals like she could. However, she pushed these thoughts out of her mind. Like she discovered long ago, wondering never solved anything. You could only get rid of curiosity by giving into it.
Back to top Go down
Rainbow Monstrosity

PostSubject: Re: Teacher's Lounge.   Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:50 pm

Faye caught Annabel as she glanced at her and a small smile played on her lips. She stood up and walked over the fridgerator where all the teachers kept their lunches. Faye always had several bottles of iced tea in there, which is what she fetched from the fridge and took a long drink of it. Refreshing as always.
"When you're curious about something, it's best to ask about that something, isn't it?" She asked Annabel and turned to face her. She leaned forward, propping her elbows up on the countertop and her chin in the palm of her hands.
"So ask away," she continued, the smile still playing on her lips. "I've been quite curious about the teachers here and their powers. What it's like to have their power. How they have dealt with it and still deal with it."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
My Dear Juliet
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Teacher's Lounge.   Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:19 pm

Annabel nodded in agreement and chewed on a strand of her hair. "I agree with you. If there's one thing the students here need to work on, it's not controlling their powers. It's communication. This academy shows a severe lack of student-to-student communication." She frowned as if it were something that really bothered her, and she'd spent much time contemplating how to make it better.
"Your argument is valid. So, Ms. Leprah, if you don't mind me asking," She began as she crossed her hands in front of her face and started sipping on a drink she'd left in the fridge. "What's it like being able to turn into different animals?" She tilted her head to the side in genuine curiosity. "Can you change into mythological animals, like centaurs and dragons?"
Back to top Go down
Rainbow Monstrosity

PostSubject: Re: Teacher's Lounge.   Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:40 am

Faye laughed softly and began to slide the bottle of iced tea back and forth between her hands. "I can change into any animal my heart desires. Though animals that are extinct now drain me quite a lot, like dragons and the like. I have always wondered about changing into a unicorn, I must admit. I've never tried it."

Faye laughed again and took a step back from the counter. A flash of cerulean-blue glowed in her eyes, as did her hair which was the same colour. Then a series of bones cracking followed and Faye gasped a few times. Even after all the years, changing form was still painful.

An oversized wolf leapt onto the couch from behind the counter. The wolf was sheer black with strange cerulean-blue markings all over its fur and the tips were bleached white. The claws were also that same blue colour, matching the very long and sharp teeth which flashed in a grin at Annabel. A neon-green substance dripped from her teeth; it was the poisons she could create and release upon anyone. Three tails swished gently back and forth, and each tail was a different colour. One was white, one was raven-black, and the other a cerulean-blue.

"Changing form can be quite painful, but as you can see, I can become any animal I want. Or rather, any creature I can think of." Faye's voice echoed about the room though her lips hadn't moved. A moment later and the normal Faye that the teachers and students knew was sitting in the place of the giant wolf. She stretched out her arms and the symbols which had been glowing on the fur of the wolf faded on her skin. They seemed to flash with colour in time with her heartbeat.

"I've always wondered what it was like to have your power." Faye turned to Annabel and smiled, her teeth normal again. It was as if the wolf had never existed.

Last edited by Rainbow Monstrosity on Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
My Dear Juliet
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Teacher's Lounge.   Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:37 am

Annabel sat there, taking all that had just happened in. She closed her eyes, seeing nothing but vibrant electricity running through the back of her head as she always did whenever she closed her eyes.
"My, but that's peculiar. Were I to discover that I can change into any animal, unicorn would be the first creature to change into."
She laughed, the smile reaching her eyes. Staring at Faye, she wondered if she had just imagined the wolf. Her transformation was just that flawless and quick. "Mutants are always so interesting to see, the powers they hold are just so...fascinating. Unfortunately, mine isn't as fun to see."
She grinned with a devilish, playful smile as she walked over to the fireplace under the flat-screen television hanging on the wall showing some boring world news program. She removed her glove, and reached her hand up to the television. It began sparking erratically and as soon as she touched it, the lights in the room went out and she began glowing like a livewire. She touched the television once more, and the electricity in the room went back to normal when she put her glove back on.
Back to top Go down
Rainbow Monstrosity

PostSubject: Re: Teacher's Lounge.   Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:37 pm

Faye sat forward and watched Annabel unblinkingly as she seemed to suck the electricity from the entire room and absorb it into herself. One moment the room was pitchblack, and the next moment Annabel was lit up like a single bright star in the middle of the black sky. Faye stared at Annabel in awe and only after the lights came back on and the other teacher no longer glowed that pretty silver-blue colour did Faye snap out of her awestruck gaze.

"I must disagree, I'm afraid. You see, I haven't known many mutants that can do what you just did and it is very impressive." Faye said and smiled, sitting back against the sofa.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Teacher's Lounge.   

Back to top Go down

Teacher's Lounge.
Page 1 of 1